Sir John and the Knights of the Long Table

Eleven of us live here at beautiful Schamelot, and we have a small 20 acre farm of chickens, emus, two dogs, 13 or so cats and a cockateil named Sassafrass.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Making Sense of Suffering, a 4 year old's perspective


The other evening my sister-in-law went out to the wood pile with a few of the kids to bring up wood for the woodstove. (We don't use the heat pump in the winter time--the woodstove can make the living room feel like the pits of hell!) Our youngest son wasn't feeling overly motivated and my sister-in-law said, "McGregor, don't you want to get strong like Daddy? Carrying logs makes you strong." So he picked out a formidable oak log, weighing at least as much as he does and began struggling to lift it up onto the quad. He said, "I'm glad God made this log so heavy so I can get REALLY strong."
If only I could remember to say the same about my crosses... God does speak through our children, doesn't He?

Happy Parenting!

No comments: