Sir John and the Knights of the Long Table

Eleven of us live here at beautiful Schamelot, and we have a small 20 acre farm of chickens, emus, two dogs, 13 or so cats and a cockateil named Sassafrass.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Feast of Sts. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Patriarchs

For today's feast of Sts. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob we've made a beautiful triptych with card stock, glitter glue, and gold spray-painted masking tape.


Using two pieces of black card stock, I cut one in half lengthwise, then laying the two pieces over the remaining whole piece, I cut them into an arch.  Actually, to keep the arch symmetrical I cut the two halves into half arches first, then cut the whole piece.  I did the same to the background, making them about 1/4 inch smaller than the black card stock all the way around.  I taped the two side pieces to the center piece with scotch tape that I'll cover with the gold masking tape which I'll cut into a hinge shape. I cut out each of the patriarchs.

I glued the background to the card stock.  I swirled a thin track of tacky glue all over the back of each piece and then used a hatpin to spread the glue into a thin layer and reach all the way to the edges.  I did the same for the patriarchs.

To paint the masking tape gold I just sprayed it on the roll.  After it was dry I cut it into four equal pieces, being careful not to let the sticky side touch the painted side.  I cut the gold masking tape into hinge shapes and covered the scotch tape.  Then I outlined all the background pieces and also the halos of the patriarchs with gold glitter glue.


I'm really happy with how it came out.  From a distance it could almost pass for an expensive, professionally done work of art.  Up close you discover the truth!

No comments: