Sir John and the Knights of the Long Table

Eleven of us live here at beautiful Schamelot, and we have a small 20 acre farm of chickens, emus, two dogs, 13 or so cats and a cockateil named Sassafrass.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Ki'sdom

When our third child was about 2 I caught her in the act of disobeying one of our standing rules. I scooped her up and we sat down at the dining room table to try to get to the bottom of the problem. I began to explain to her the sinfulness of disobedience and the three sources of tempation: the devil, the flesh and the world. I tried to impress upon her the need for prayer in overcoming temptation and growing stronger in grace and virtue. I assured her that God had given her a mommy and a daddy to help her get to heaven and that when she was having a hard time resisting a temptation she should run to one of us and we would pray together for the strength to resist the temptation to sin.

She sat very quietly, her rosy little cheek resting on her chubby little hand. She seemed to be thinking very hard about what I was saying, so I began to reiterate, in different words, what I had said, hoping she would eventually understand perfectly.

After I'd talked a little more she finally spoke:

"I think the devoo's tempting me wight now."

"He is? What is he tempting you to do? Tell mommy and we'll pray together to resist this temptation," I responded enthusiastically, encouraged that she had truly understood my admonitions.

She responded without hesitation, "He's tempting me to tell you to shut up."

For some reason St. Paul's words came to my mind, "Let women keep silence..."

Another needed dose of humility.

Happy Parenting,

No comments: